How much does it cost to get a helicopter license?
For many, gliding through the air in a helicopter is a childhood dream. But before you fly over traffic jams with a helicopter, you have to undergo extensive training as a helicopter pilot. You can find out how this works, what it takes to get the helicopter license and what requirements you have to meet in an interview with the cost check expert.
What are the requirements?
Cost check: You have to meet various requirements for pilot training:
- The minimum age at the start of training is 16 years, at the exam 17 years.
- A German driver's license as proof of immediate measures at the accident site must be presented. Alternatively, a certificate of a completed first aid course also applies.
- You need the authorization to exercise the radio service in German (BZF II)
- as well as a class 1 or 2 medical certificate.
- A current police certificate and a
- Extract from the central traffic register must also be submitted.
- A doctor has to certify the reliability test according to SS7 Aviation Security Act.
- Furthermore, a birth certificate or copy of the identity card is required.
What does the helicopter license cost?
Cost check: This ticket is very complex, so it is not one of the cheapest flight licenses. The following table provides an overview of the average costs:
|Flight hours with a teacher, depending on the number of hours||9,000 - 14,000 EUR|
|Mandatory solo flights||4,000 - 5,000 EUR|
|theory lessons||400 - 1,000 EUR|
|examination fee||400 EUR|
|Aviation medical certificate||180 EUR|
Is a taster course worth it?
Cost check: Given the high cost of the training, a trial course that many flight schools offer at reasonably affordable prices is advisable in any case. The amount paid for this is often taken into account should you subsequently decide to get the helicopter license.
What skills should I have?
Cost check: Actually it is not that difficult to control a helicopter. If you:
- are adept at handling technical equipment,
- and can provide all documents,
nothing stands in the way of acquiring the helicopter license.
How long does the education last?
Cost check: It varies a lot and depends on how much free time you can spend. The full-time course lasts at least nine weeks. If you only have time on weekends and on vacation, you need an average of twelve months for the helicopter license.
How many flight hours do I have to take?
Cost check: In the practical training you complete at least 45 hours of total flight time. Of these, a maximum of 5 hours can be replaced by exercises in the flight simulator. The minimum solo flight time under the supervision of a flight instructor is 10 hours. This includes at least 5 hours of overland flight. If you already have a pilot license, you can get up to 6 hours of flight experience.
What do I learn in theoretical and practical training?Cost check: The training as a helicopter pilot is very extensive. It is divided into practical and theoretical lessons.
You generally complete the theoretical lessons of at least 80 hours in a small group at the flight school.
- general knowledge of aircraft
- helicopter-specific flight planning and flight performance
- air law
Training contents in practice are:
- flight preparation
- Starting the engine
- Ground maneuvers, hovering and rounds
- normal takeoffs and landings
- Take-offs and landings on sloping terrain and in cross winds - Take-off and landing technology with minimum or maximum engine power - Measures and procedures to prevent collisions - Guiding the helicopter in visual flight - Flights in narrow terrain - Quick stops
- Overland flight according to visual references
- emergency Procedures
- Approach and landing in autorotation
How does the exam work?
Cost check: This consists of a very extensive theory test, which takes about six hours, and a practical flight test. During this you have to fly various maneuvers and prove that you master the helicopter safely.
- Can I really make the helicopter license cheaper in the US?
The regulations were also tightened in 2003. Since then, the conversion of the US helicopter license into a European helicopter license is only possible after additional training with a final theoretical and practical test. In addition, you must provide 100 flight hours on the helicopter. Since this also causes costs, there is often no real saving.